daily independent coverage of Grimsby Town FC
1878 to 1884
1885 to 1891
History Quiz: 1878 to 1884
The formative years of the club.
1) What date was the meeting held that saw 'Grimsby Pelham Football Club' established?
16 August 1878
2 September 1878
20 September 1878
26 September 1878
2) Where was this meeting held?
The Dock Station
3) Where did the 'Pelham' in the club's name come from?
The club played its first game on Pelham Road
'Pelham' was the surname of the club's first president
'Pelham' was the name of the cricket club that decided to set the football club to the fill the winter months
'Pelham' was the family name of the Earl of Yarborough, a local landowner
4) Grimsby Pelham Football Club played their two games - away and then at home - against the same opposition. Who did they face in these games?
Britannia and Brigg
Grantham and Spilsby
5) Where did the club play their games for the first nine years of their existence?
6) The club (now known as Grimsby Town Football Club after changing its name early in the 1879-80 season) entered the English Cup (now the FA Cup) for the first time in 1882-83. Who were their first oppenents?
7) Who netted the club's monumental first cup goal?
8) What upgrade was made to Grimsby's ground in the 1882-83 season?
A second stand was built
Matchday programmes were available for the first time
Spectators could purchase refreshments during the game
Bathing vans were used at games as changing rooms
9) Town earned their first victory in the English Cup in 1883-84. Who did they beat?
10) And, finally, Town's reached their first Lincolnshire Cup final in 1883-84 where they faced Spilsby. What was the score?
A 3-1 win
A 2-0 win
A 2-1 defeat
A 4-2 defeat
To see how you've done, click 'submit' below.