daily independent coverage of Grimsby Town FC
1 June |
1 June 2011
You know how it is in July. You're feeling a bit itchy after a couple of months without the football. You're intrigued about the new signings. So you go along to a friendly, watch Town labour to a 1-0 win over Gainsborough Trinity, and remember why you couldn't wait for last season to end.
This quis is all about pre-season friendlies. Good luck.
1) Town proved that you should never read anything into the results of friendlies by beating a local part-time outfit 12-1 in 2009, only to be relegated from the Football League the following season. Who were those whipping boys?
North Ferriby United
2) On the other hand, Town beat a national team 7-2 in a 1971 friendly and won the fourth division title the following season. Which nation provided the opposition?
3) And a week or so before the start of Town's fabled 1997-98 season, 6,348 fans watched Town beat which team 2-0 in a friendly at Blundell Park?
Heart of Midlothian
4) Town hosted a friendly against German side 1. FC Saarbrücken in May 1951 as part of which grand event?
The Royal Exhibition
The Empire Games
The Festival of Britain
The 1951 World's Fair
5) Which one of the following friendly competitions has not been entered by GTFC?
Lyall Murdoch Memorial Tournament
Copa de Ibiza
Errea South West Challenge Cup
6) Which eastern European side arranged to play a friendly against GTFC at Blundell Park in July 2005, only to cancel their entire tour of the UK?
7) Which Dutch club ended up replacing the aforementioned eastern Europeans on Town's schedule of 2005 pre-season friendly opponents?
8) And what was the outcome of the game against the aforementioned Dutch club?
Town won 3-2
Town lost 2-1
9) In July 2009 GTFC fucked up royally by entering a pre-season tournament despite an already congested fixture programme. What flimsy excuse did the club give for withdrawing from the final at one day's notice?
A large number of injured players
The poor standard of accommodation in the team's hotel
Impending roadworks which would add several hours to the squad's return journey to Lincolnshire
Threats of violence against then manager Mike Newell by Luton fans attending the tournament
10) In October 1958 Town hosted a friendly against Slavia Prague (then known as Prague Dynamo), losing 1-0. What was notable about the visitors' goal?
It was scored after six seconds – the fastest ever goal at Blundell Park
It was scored by the Prague substitute – the first ever goal by a substitute at Blundell Park
It was scored by the Prague goalkeeper, direct from a long clearance
It went in off the referee's head
And by then, of course, it's too late to change your mind about renewing your season ticket because you've already paid for it. Another year of misery it is, then. How did you get on?